The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada and MLA Scott Johnston announced the Manitoba Aerospace Fund (MAF) on October 10, 2018. Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Province of Manitoba collaboratively developed MAF to support the business productivity and growth of Manitoba Aerospace SMEs.
MAF is a $1.6M fund available to qualifying SMEs in support of projects that will create economic growth, including the creation/maintenance of jobs and higher export revenues.
The Composites Innovation Centre is responsible for delivering and managing MAF. The MAF Program Management Committee will review the recommended projects and make the final funding decisions.
The program is primarily intended to support companies in the aerospace industry engaged in the design and/or manufacturing of aerospace parts and components (including supplemental modifications), maintenance, repair and overhaul of aircraft and or parts and components. Consideration will be given to companies in the aviation sector.
MAF will be open to enterprises that meet the following mandatory criteria:
- For-Profit organization incorporated to conduct business in Canada
- Have operating facilities located in Manitoba
- Have been in operation for at least one year in Canada
- Fewer than 500 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees in Manitoba
- Organizations will need to demonstrate their overall governance, management and financial capacity to successfully undertake the project
Project funding will be provided to for-profit SMEs on a non-repayable basis over one fiscal year from April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020. Project activities can run from April 1, 2019 through to December 31, 2020.
- End of call for proposals – February 1, 2019
- Committee decision – March 1, 2019
- Applicant notification – March 4, 2019
- Project activities and funding period start – April 1, 2019
- Funding period end – March 31, 2020
- Project activities end – December 31, 2020
To be eligible for MAF funding, a project must meet the following criteria:
- Be completed by December 31, 2020, with expenses from April 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 covered by other funding sources; and
- Is incremental – project activities that are additional to the SME’s current operations or activities in MB.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- Are in the aerospace sector
- Create and / or maintain jobs in Manitoba
- Increase domestic and / or export sales from existing or new market
- Increase revenue
- Demonstrate viability of long-term sustainability
- Demonstrate SME contribution and / or leveraging of other funds toward project costs
Examples of possible project activities could include but are not limited to:
Product or Process Commercialization
- Product development
- External consulting services
- Technology Adoption
- Technology development/acceleration
- New Market Entry / Opportunities
- Tradeshow / marketing activities
- Website Development
- Product certifications (i.e. Controlled Goods Certification/ AS-9100 certification)
- Market research
- Human resources development/training
All interested applicants must submit their proposals to the CIC via e-mail by February 1, 2019.
Once the call for proposals ends, the MAF Program Management Committee will review the eligible proposals and select the final projects to receive funding.
Once the projects have been selected, the successful applicants will be notified and can begin preparations to start their projects April 1, 2019.
The approved applicants will be responsible for the following:
- Monthly status reports and updates
- Submitting invoices for eligible costs with proof of payment
- A final report once project activities are complete
For more information on how to apply, please contact Gene Manchur at MAF@compositesinnovation.ca